Monday, February 7, 2011

A customer's two favorite subjects

The hardest thing I do is to stand by and watch a rep screw up on a call. This is sometimes necessary, I need to see how their behave normally so I know how to help them. Today I was cold calling with a rep who did a good job opening a conversation with prospects. Unfortunately he was unable to keep them engaged and moving on to a sales presentation. I was able to observe him and how the customer reacted to what he was saying. He held the customer's attention as long as he was talking about their business and their customers but as soon as he starting talking about himself he lost them. When I am talking to a customer I like to picture an imaginary spotlight shining on us. When we are discussing the customer and his business, it is shining on him, when we are talking about me or my business, it is shining on me. Experience has taught me that I am much more likely to make a sale when I keep the "spotlight" on the customer. This is how we learn about the customer's needs and problem. I only talk about my products when describing how they relate to the customer's needs. Never forget, the customer is the star of the show, they deserve to be in the spotlight, I am happy to be the producer (of revenue!)

Keep Smiling, Keep Selling!

Thanks

Jim Busch

No comments:

Post a Comment