Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Don't let your experience get in the way

A few days ago I was asked to help a rep prepare for a call. The rep asked me to prepare some research and I pulled the numbers she wanted. In reviewing the prospect's information I uncovered some additional research which I felt could be potentially useful on the call. When I presented my work to the rep she took the numbers she wanted and immediately discarded the rest of the material. She told me that "She knew the customer and he wouldn't be interested," when I suggested that we should let the customer decide, she added "I've been doing this for ten years, I know what customer's want!" I believe this is a very dangerous thing to say. One of the most important tools a sales person can possess is an open mind. Once we believe we know what a customer wants, we stop listening to them. Use your experience as a tool, don't let it become a barrier. No two sales calls ever go the same way, we need to keep an open mind and stay flexible. On every call we are a "rookie" to that client. Keep your mind open if you want to close sales.

Keep Smiling Keep Selling

Thanks Jim Busch

No comments:

Post a Comment