Monday, March 22, 2010

Clothes make the man

I stopped at the convenience store after work to buy a bottle of water. The young man behind the counter asked me if I was an attorney! After making a joke about having grown horns and a tail I told him what I did. Out of curiosity, I asked him why he thought I was a lawyer. He told me that because I always wear a suit and tie, he assumed I was a professional. Things have become a lot more casual in the last twenty or so years, but I still wear a coat and tie on every call. I don't even make use of my company's "casual Friday" policy. In Malcolm Gladwell's best selling book "Blink," he speaks of the power of rapid cognition. Human beings naturally make snap decisions about one another based on appearances. Professional attire sends a signal that you are someone worth listening to, someone who knows what they are doing. Even in these laid back times, clothes do make the sales person.

Keep Smiling, Keep Selling!

Thanks Jim Busch

No comments:

Post a Comment