Monday, January 18, 2010

Getting through the gate keeper

Getting through to a client on the telephone can be a challenge. Secretaries, receptionists, and switchboard operators are instructed "I don't want to take any calls from any salespeople!" This why, when you call, you get a quick "NO" from these people. To get around this engage them in the following way.

"Hello this is Jim Busch from Ideas and Eyeballs, I need to get some information to the person that is responsible for marketing in your company, call you tell who that would be?"
"Great, could you spell her name for me?
"Thanks, and what is her title?"
"And your company name is , is that correct?"
"Thanks, could you give me your mailing address?"
"Thanks, let me repeat that to make sure I got it right"
"Does she prefer to get information in the mail or via e-mail?"
"Thanks for the information, could you put me through to Ms. Jones please?"
'Thank you"

By asking a series of easy questions, you get the gate keeper in the habit of complying with your requests. They will often comply positively to your next request as well. You also establish rapport. Often they will put you through and in worst case scenario you have their complete contact information.

The $20 phrase for this technique is "Psycho-neuro linguistic programming" I have used this technique successfully for many years

Keep Smiling, Keep Selling!

Thanks Jim Busch

No comments:

Post a Comment