Monday, October 4, 2010

How much is an ad?

I have been on calls with inexperienced reps when, once they introduced themselves, the prospect asked "How much is an ad?" These new reps interpreted this as a buying signal and offered a price quote. At the beginning of a call this question is not a buying signal, it is a trap. If the rep would have answered "You can get a full page for a nickel!" the prospect would answer "too much!" Customers know that this a quick way to end a call that leaves the rep no where to go. The correct answer to this question is "I don't know." You can go on to explain that "I have a price list, but I wouldn't know what type of ad you need, or if you need an ad at all. Let me ask a few questions about your business and I will be able to give you a quote." Now the prospect is painted into a corner, since they ostensibly expressed interest they must answer your questions. Quoting a price before you've uncovered a need is a quick way to lose a sale.

Keep Smiling, Keep Selling!

Thanks Jim Busch

No comments:

Post a Comment