Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The guarantee objection

Sometimes prospects will ask "can you guarantee that my ads will work?" This can be a tough question to answer. It is actually an objection masquerading as a question, implying that they will not advertise unless they can be 100% certain of getting results.

I like to use this approach: "Mr./Ms. Customer, if anyone in the advertising industry promises you specific results, they are lying to you. There are just too many variables to precisely predict how a program will pull. I can tell you that we have many satisfied advertisers, many in your industry, who count on my publication to bring customers in. I think the best proof I can offer is the many customers I work with who have advertised with us for many years. They are smart, experienced business people just like you and wouldn't continue to advertise if they didn't see results.

This response addresses the real issue, they want to be reassured that they are making a good decision. By using the phrase "smart, experienced business people" helps the customer identify themselves with the people who advertise.

Keep Smiling, Keep Selling!

Thanks Jim Busch

No comments:

Post a Comment