Sunday, May 9, 2010

Sometimes its no mistake to make a mistake

We all like to be right, to impress others with our cleverness, but sometimes it pays to play dumb. If I want to get a conversation started, I will sometimes ask a "dumb Question" or say something that is wrong about the customer's business. For example, during a call on a tanning salon I said "Well I imagine spring and early summer is a slow time for you." (This is one of their busiest seasons). I was instantly corrected by the owner. Like most people, correcting someone gave her a bit of an ego rush, we struck up a conversation about the business that lead to a sale. I sometimes will include an error in a spec ad. When the prospect points it out, I ask them "What else would you change in your ad." This gets them involved with the ad and causes them to take ownership of the ad. Often the smartest thing you can do is play dumb.

Keep Smiling, Keep Selling!

Thanks Jim Busch

No comments:

Post a Comment