Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Seek out mentors

My dad used to tell me that I should listen to him because I wouldn't have time to make all the mistakes myself. The fastest way to build our knowledge is to learn from the experience of others. As a young sales person I would spend as much time as possible with some of the older more experienced reps. I kept a clipboard in my car and wrote down questions I had for them and challenges that I didn't know how to handle. Every so often I would buy one of my mentors lunch and run through the issues on my list. Those lunches proved to be one of the best investments I have ever made in my career. I didn't take all of their advice but much of it is worthwhile and I still apply much of it to this day.

Keep Smiling, Keep Selling!

Thanks Jim Busch

No comments:

Post a Comment