Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Hold them to their word

When a customer tells you to get back to them in a month, you should keep pushing them to take action now. If you can't get them to change their mind, do just what they ask. Many people use this stall technique because they know most sales people will never follow up. When presented with a firm stall, I immediately record the followup date in my appointment calendar. I note down who to call and the date and time when I spoke to the customer. When I call back I use this material to put the customer on the spot. I say something like "Mr. Customer when we spoke on the morning of March 28th you asked me to give you a call in a month to set up an appointment. I will be in your area this Thursday, would the morning or afternoon work better for you?" By reminding the customer of their commitment to you and because you lived up to your end of the bargain they are more likely to grant you the appointment. If you are vague and just say you are "just following up" you are very likely to hear another stall. You can be waiting for next month for the rest of your career. The specific details make the commitment real.

Keep Smiling, Keep Selling!

Thanks Jim Busch

No comments:

Post a Comment