Monday, October 5, 2009

Take Time to Listen

Sales people have a reputation for being great talkers. The truth is the best sales people are also great listeners. Listening allows them to understand their customer's needs and to uncover problems that can be solved with their products. Here's a tip that I use to make sure I don't miss anything the customer has to say.

When the customer stops speaking, I silently count to five before responding. This gives my brain time to process the customer's message so that I can give a considered response. It also lets me be sure that the customer has finished speaking. They may be just be taking a breathe or trying to think of a word. The five count lets them continue with their train of thought. By doing this you avoid talking over the customer. A collateral benefit of this technique is that you will sound more intelligent. Intelligent people tend to pause more often and speak more slowly.

The five count rule will make you a better conversationalist and a better sales person.

Keep smiling, keep selling

Thanks--Jim Busch

No comments:

Post a Comment