Tuesday, October 20, 2009

News you can use

I once heard Omar Periu say "Until you say something interesting you are an interruption." It can be challenging to come up with something to grab the prospects attention. When I read the newspaper I am always on the look out for potential talking points. I look for stories that potentially impact the local businesses I call on.

For example, yesterday's USA Today featured a story about the decline in the sales of cemetery plots. The article attributed this to the lower cost of direct cremation. I will be able to use this story as a conversation starter with local cemeteries and funeral directors. "Mr. Customer I read an article about... in the USA Today, how is this impacting your business locally" Using this timely information gets the customer talking about their industry and their business. This gives you an opportunity to uncover problems that your publication will be able to solve. Using the news tells the customer that you are interested in them and positions you as more than the typical sales person

Keep smiling, keep selling.

Thanks Jim Busch

No comments:

Post a Comment