Wednesday, June 1, 2011

What does the customer's office say about them?

Like many people, I feel as much at home in my office as at my house. My space reflects my personality and my interests. A quick scan of a person's workspace can tell you a lot about them. When approaching someone with a very "personal" workspace (Lots of pictures of kids, flowers etc.) you should talk about helping their customers. A person with an "ego-centric" workspace (Trophies, awards, pictures of them with celebrities) will respond to a message about "making people take notice" or beating the competition. A person with a "data rich" workspace (Many reports and printouts, charts and graphs on the wall) will want to see your circulation numbers and will respond to comparisons of cost per thousand. Finally, the person with a "cold" workspace (Few personal items, organized with everything in reach) will want to get right down to business without wasting time on "chit-chat." You should probably start the call with "I don't want to waste your time so let's get right to the point." Taking the time to observe a person's workspace and using the information you gain from doing so can save time and help get a call off on a good footing.

Keep Smiling, Keep Selling!

Thanks

Jim Busch

No comments:

Post a Comment