Tuesday, November 3, 2009

"Knee Jerk" Objections

What do you do when you walk into a customer's place of business (or call them on the phone) and they immediately say "NO". This is what I call a "knee jerk" objection. They are not really objecting to what you have to offer, at this point they don't even know what you are offering. They are conditioned by long experience to react to salespeople with an immediate rejection. The best way to handle this situation is to step around it.

I start with a bit of verbal Judo. I respond to the prospect by saying something like "That's okay, I wish everyone would buy something from me, but I know that's not realistic. Thank you for your time." This statement defuses the situation and sets up my next move. Next I start a conversation about their business. I will ask a question about something on display in their store or something in their office. I may ask them how long they've in business, anything to start them talking.

When they first identify you as a salesperson, the prospect erects a barrier to keep you away. By engaging the prospect in conversation you begin to crack that barrier. The longer you keep them talking the less they think of you as a salesperson and the more they think of you as an individual. You can then start asking questions to uncover needs and move on to a sale. This technique is much more effective than trying to confront the objection directly.

Keep smiling, keep selling.

Thanks Jim Busch

No comments:

Post a Comment