Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Get by with a little help from your friends

I 'll never understand sales people. I've been a sales person most of my life. I've been a sales manager and a sales trainer, but I have never been able to figure out the psyche of sales people.

One of the great sales mysteries that baffles me is "Why don't sales people ask for referrals?." Reps take great pride in their relationships with their clients. Smart reps know that using a referral virtually guarantees an interview and significantly increases the odds of closing a sale. So why does less than one sales person in ten regularly ask for a referral.

Are they afraid that their customer will take offense or feel uncomfortable if they ask for a referral. Asking for a referral is actually a terrific way to compliment your advertiser. In effect you are telling them "I respect you, I know you are connected and I value your opinion" People feel good about helping others. Asking for a referral reinforces your relationship with your customers. Saying "Mr. Customer I really appreciate your business and I enjoy working with you. You've been in business here for a long time, can you think of any other businesses in the area that I might be able to help?" When you get a referral ask "Would it be okay if I used your name?" "Thanks"

Get in the habit of asking for referrals, you'll be amazed at the doors it will open for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment