Thursday, September 24, 2009

Le

We all scan our competitor's publications for leads. For most accounts this is one of the best sources of new business. The challenge of doing this for seasonal businesses is that by the time their ad appears, the prospect's budget has already been spent. It is often too late to put together a campaign for this years event.

If I find I am too late to sell a program, I set my sights on the next holiday or the next season. I place a copy of the prospect's ads along with any other information I have collected in my 12 month "tickler" file. I place the information in a folder dated at least two months before the run dates of the ads. This gives me the time to plan and sell the account. My goal is to get to the prospect before my competition.

Selling advertising is a marathon not a sprint. Filing leads away for the next season or the next year, gives us a head start on the competition. After you have done this for a full year, you will have a pipeline full of leads for every season.

Keep smiling, keep selling. Thanks

Jim Busch

No comments:

Post a Comment