Friday, September 18, 2009

Friday Quote

I have a confession to make. I am a lifelong apothegmatist. What is a apothegmatist? I collect apothegms, which is the ten dollar word for a quote. I have always been amazed by the power of language to influence us and see things in a new way. A good quotation delivers an important idea in an easily understood concise package.

Every week for over twenty years, I have shared a quote with my friends and co-workers. Starting today this will be a regular feature of this blog. I will also include a few of my thoughts on the quotes message. I would be happy to hear from you on some of your favorite quotes.

“I would rather have a mind opened by wonder that one closed by belief."
Gary Spence

This may sound a little spacey but I think it has a direct bearing on what we do.The successful person doesn't know in advance that they will succeed. Most successful people fail many times before they reach their goal. They "wonder" if something will work and they give it a try. Failures think "I don't believe this will work work" or "I don't believe this customer will buy." Possessing a healthy sense of wonder is a sure predictor of success.

By the way Gary Spence was a successful trial lawyer who wrote several books. His "How to argue and win every time" is well worth reading.

Thanks for reading.

Jim B.

No comments:

Post a Comment