Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The "Word of Mouth" Objection

When a customer tells you "I don't need to advertise...I get all of my customers through word of mouth." how do you respond? Here's how I answer this tough objection. First I compliment them "That's terrific, you certainly must be doing something right!" This defuses the tension in the situation. I then ask them "What is it that you do that keeps people coming back?" This engages the customer in conversation and gets them talking about their business. After discussing their business for a while I say something like "You certainly have a good story to tell and I can understand why you get so many referrals." This puts them in a positive mood. I finish with "I like working with businesses like yours because of the great response they get to their advertising. Every new customer I bring in for you becomes a new source of referrals. Where the average business gets 50 new people, you would leverage that into hundreds of new contacts through your referrals. I love helping businesses grow their base."

This is a much better approach than challenging this objection. Praise the customer and use his referrals as a selling point.

Keep Smiling, Keep Selling!

Thanks

Jim Busch

No comments:

Post a Comment